Thursday, May 29, 2014

Tattoos. Counter-culture or mainstream?

In Today's class we started to see The Māori culture, when the class finished, the professor told us if we can look for information about The Māori tattoos and their meaning. I came home and started to investigate. In my process I could not ignore a idea that started to grow in mi mind.  How tattoos, that had a very powerful significance are now for some people just decoration?

For example. In the  Māori culture the tattos are called Tā moko and are often placed on the face. For the Māori  this tattoo is a taonga (treasure) which the purpose and applications are sacred. Every moko contains ancestral/tribal messages specific to the wearer. These messages tell the story of the wearer's family and tribal affiliations. A moko’s message would also contain the wearer’s ‘value’ by way of their genealogy, and their knowledge and standing in their social level. We can identify the Tribe status of a person determining where is located his tattoo.


The male facial tattoo  is generally divided into eight sections:

-Ngakaipikirau (rank). The center forehead area

-Ngunga (position). Around the brows

-Uirere (hapu rank). The eyes and nose area

-Uma (first or second marriage). The temples

-Raurau (signature). The area under the nose

-Taiohou (work). The cheek area

-Wairua (mana). The chin

-Taitoto (birth status). The jaw

It is very hard to know the specific meaning of the tattoos. Maori culture  is very complex, and sometimes the Moko have secret meanings known only for the members of the clan. 

If you want more information about this you can visit http://history-nz.org/maori3.html

By the history of tattoos we can say that they have a strong cultural content. In some cultures are seen as symbols of rebellion, just like the Yakuza (mafia) in Japon. For all Yakuza members, large tattoos show a excessive self-confidence and pretentiousness. Dragons and tigers (knows for being strongs) are good for threatening another Yakuza member. Generally larger tattoos mean a stronger person.


On the other hand in India, henna tattoos are an important part of wedding ceremonies. Family and friends draw intricate mehndi pattern in the hands and feets of the bride. Normally has the name of the groom interwoven into it. The groom is expected to find his name in the pattern. If he is unsuccessful, the myth is that the bride will control the marriage. Another myth is surrounding the color of the henna. The popular belief is that the deeper the color, the stronger the bond between bride and mother-in-law.


Nowadays tattoos don't have to have a special meaning. You can do it because you feel that is beautiful, or because inspire you something. Is hard to denied that tattoos have become a new expression of art. 




The majority of people don't see it like a stigma anymore, especially the younger generations. But is this a good thing? What do you think about tattoos become more a trend instead of having a deeper meaning? And finally, would you like to get a tattoo?  



3 comments:

  1. Hello Barbara!

    I think that if someone want a tattoo, should be something with a deeper meaning. Because if you want a tattoo just for fun, to be cool or because you just like it, you could feel repentant few years later. Instead, if you do it with meaning, you'll never feel that way. You can't erase a tattoo. A tattoo is forever.

    I LOVE tattoos. I want like... 3 or 4 tattoos, but I have a problem with my blood because it is not mainstream hahaha I'm O-, the rarer blood type in the world :( so if I want donate have to do it first and then start with the tattoo thing.

    The tattoos that I want are a golden lotus flower, because it was my granpa's favourite flower. Golden because my mother's name (his daughter) is Millaray, and that means "Golden Flower" in mapudungun.
    The second will be "Mimí", because of my granmother (father's mother [lol xd]). My granma's name was Noemi, aka "Mimi" , that's why i'm Mimi (it's my real name).
    And the last one could be my family coat of arms, Martinez. Because I love my familly. They came from Spain and I want to go there and meet the rest of my family :)

    Bye!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting topic, Bárbara! In my case, I've changed my mind about tattoos many times. When I was in school I used to find them really cool and I wanted to have one just to rebel against my dad (he hated them). Then, as I got older and wiser I started to realize how often we change our minds about things. Also, my mom started working on erasing scars of people that had gotten tattoos removed and she showed me pictures. Now I think I'm never getting a tattoo because they scare me and I know that I'm intolerant to pain. Another factor could be that I'm Jewish and in Judaism it is forbidden to get tattoos or piercings because our bodies are sacred, but I never consider my religion for my decisions.
    So, I agree with Mimí when she says that if someone wants to get a tattoo they should be absolutely sure of their decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your entry is very interesting, I really appreciate that you shared the meaning behind the Maori tattoos.
    Now answering your questions... it's true indeed that the tattoos have just became a trend without much meaning beside a physical thing. Personally, I would love to get a tattoo, but for me it's a must that if I get one it has to have a story and a very deep meaning.

    ReplyDelete