Sunday, May 4, 2014

Harry Potter. From the c to the C

Harry Potter is a series of fantasy that consisting of 7 books written by J.K Rowling. At the time that Harry potter was published the 26 June 1997  nobody would thought that would become one of the best-selling books in the world. It has been translated into 67 languages placing his author in the most translated authors of the history. Even United State has an edition that has been adapted to an American English to make it more understandable to the young American audience.

This is all thanks to the globalization, yet its interpretation varies by culture. In countries like France the literal translation of the first book is “Harry Potter at the school of wizards.” And not “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone”, In China, where the owls are well-known symbols of good fortune, the cover of the first novel features a giant sketch of Harry’s owl Hedwig, what is completely different from what we can see in the British cover. Despite this, are some words like Quidditch (wizard soccer) or Muggle (non-magical being) that are already world-known.


This book has had a big influence in the young population. I can say from my personal experience that this book got me into reading. When I was in school I hated reading. All the books that my teacher give us bored me, but when I was in 7 grade, I found in my cousin 's room this book called Harry Potter and the chamber of secret (Yes, I do not read the first one "first") I found it interesting and started to read it. I can't remember very well but probably it just took me one or two days finish it. Until that moment I could never imagine that I would enjoy so much with a book, so yes, I asked to mom that buy me the first one. After that, my love for reading starts. Until now I have read most of 200 books and is all thanks to that first one. I think that all the people that don't like to read it is just because they don't have found what type of literature they enjoy.

Nowadays the books of Harry Potter have been chosen in some schools for their students to read it. This has formed a controversy in the Catholics part of community because they say that promotes the witchcraft. Even members of the Vatican hierarchy have also expressed opposition. It has had so much impact in society that even in some countries like in the Arab Emirates have been banned. The citizens have responded saying that the magic show it in the books have nothing to do with the magic in “the real life” and is closer to the magic shown by CS Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien two authors often supported by Christians. They argue, that not only do not promote a particular religion, the novels do their best to avoid talking about religion at all.

This series deals with much more than universal themes and politics. The relationships built throughout the books, the power of friendship, the strength of character to continue fighting despite adversity and the ability to love. These relationships appeal to children and adults, and that is why the series has made such a deep impression on so many readers.


Whether you love it or hate it we cannot deny that Harry Potter has crept into pop culture more than any fictional character. It has influenced in the way that young generations see the world, probably all the fans of the saga waited in their 11 birthday hoping that the letter of Hogwarts arrive... big deception.


Now people could say that Harry Potter is just popular culture, but in 10 years is going to be the same? Could you imagine how Harry Potter will stay in the mind of people in 20, 50, 100, 1000 years from now?

4 comments:

  1. Barbara: I believe that this is a very good post, because when I think in Harry Potter I automatically think in" small c culture", but I never imagine if this could change in ten years and now i thinking that probably This "saga " will be very important in the future because fantasy genre is becoming more and more popular and Harry Potter is one of the more important fantasy books of 21th century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I have to say that I share with you the love for this amazing saga, and I'm agree with you when you say that nowadays Harry Potter is considered as small C culture because it's so popular. Nevertless, I think that yes, it's just a matter of time to became considering it as a Big C Culture, because it has spread across all ages and it's close to became a "classical book" just as "Cien Años de Soledad" by Gabriel García Márquez or "Don Quijote de la Mancha" by Cervantes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly, I must to say that I agree with you about influence of this book´s saga in young people, also I think it has all features to be part of "big culture" in the future. But sadly and as always this only depends of a small and elitist group' judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely agree with your point of view, although as we saw on classes, small c and big c culture is very subjective, on my personal opinion is definitely going to be a part of big c at some point due to the impact that this saga has had on many people all around the world.

    ReplyDelete