Thursday, March 27, 2014

Angel - Sarah Mclachlan

Hello everybody!

I should recognize that my favourite singer is Shakira, with her pop and latin music, and that my musical liking is so wide that covers from the new wave until the rock songs. However, today I am going to write about a song that I listened in a very dark moment of my life.



This song is called "Angel" and is from the canadian singer Sarah McLachlan. It was recorded in 1997 but released in november 1998. This single was inspired in the Smashing Pumpkins keyboard player, Jonathan Melvoin, who died in 1996 for an overdosis of heroin. Sarah wanted to express the feelings that someone must feel in the moment that is using heroin.

In the words of the same Sarah Mclachlan: "I've been in that place where you've messed up and you're so lost that you don't know who you are anymore, and you're miserable—and here's this escape route. I've never done heroin, but I've done plenty of other things to escape."*

How I said, I listened this song in a ver dark moment of my life because I was submerged in a depression in 2011. That night I wanted to give up and suddenly, I heard it. I wanted to be in the arms of an angel and fly away from my bedroom and from my problems.

When I heard it, the song makes me see the existing reality about the people who wants to run away of their problems, searching differents ways of escape. Someones choose the drugs, the alcohol, the depression, the suicide, among others. Jonathan Melvoin chose one way, I chose another.

I chose that video because it has the song's lyric; the official video is here. What do you think that is the best way for getting over the most difficults problems? What do you recommend to the people with problems to do? I will be waiting for your comments guys!

*Told in an interview for the CMJ New Music Monthly Magazine, in 1997


Sebastian Toledo Figueroa
@sebatoledo

No comments:

Post a Comment